What is the purpose of the Federal Skilled Worker Program?
World Bank figures in 2008 shows that Canada has the 11th largest economy in the world. To sustain growth in the economy, Canadian businesses need skilled workers who are qualified to work in a variety of occupations. If you [and your family, if applicable]become a Permanent Resident of Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program and enjoy the highest quality of education for your children, medical service for your family and many other benefits that Canada would offer to you.
Who can apply?
If you intend to immigrate to Canada as skilled worker, there are three simple steps to follow. You should:
- be eligible to apply,
- meet minimum requirements, and
- obtain the minimum required score in selection test.
Am I eligible to apply for Permanent Residency in Canada under Federal Skilled Worker Category?
- Do you have an offer of arranged employment in Canada?
- Are you a skilled worker who has at least one year of work experience in at least one of the following eligible occupations?
Check the list list of eligible occupations
If your answer is YES to one of these questions and you have an official language proficiency test result, then you are ELIGIBLE to apply for Permanent Residency in Canada under Federal Skilled Worker Program.
Ok, I am eligible to apply. Now, what are the minimum requirements?
If your application is eligible for processing, you must also meet the following minimum requirements to qualify as a skilled worker:
- You have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment, AND
- Your work experience must be in managerial occupations, professional occupations or technical occupations and skilled trades as outlined by the Canadian authorities, AND
- You must have acquired the work experience within the last 10 years.
If you meet these minimum requirements, your application will then be processed according to the following six selection factors:
- existing language skills in English and/or French (Canada has two official languages)
- work experience,
- arranged employment in Canada, and
- your adaptability.
Take the test
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents after you arrive in Canada.
How to apply?
If you think you meet the Federal Skilled Worker requirements and you [and your family, if applicable] are ready to start your new life in Canada, or you have more questions please contact Connecting to Canada for more details.
CONTACT CONNECTING TO CANADA NOW